A permanent soft liner is a layer of soft material that is fitted to the surface of a denture and rests next to the oral tissues. In short, a soft liner acts as a cushion or shock absorber between the hard plastic base of a denture and the gums. Soft liners can be used in the fabrication of new dentures or placed in existing dentures.
Is a Soft Liner Right For You?
Permanent soft liners provide comfort and relief for individuals with:
- severely receded or flat gums that do not tolerate the stress of dentures
- chronic soreness
- gums with prominent or sharp bony areas
Advantages of Soft Denture Liners:
- greater comfort (a significant number of denture wearers with chronic discomfort have experienced great relief)
- clinical evidence indicates that almost everyone tolerates soft liner materials
- with soft liners, many denture wearers report that they can chew food more comfortably
- a proven technology, soft liners have been offered to patients for over 20 years, and over that time the materials and technology have steadily improved
Things To Think About:
- greater consideration in the use of proper cleaners and good home care must be given
- require regular follow-up visits with a Denturist to examine the fit of dentures, the health of a patient’s oral tissues and to ensure professional cleaning